Utrecht, 18th November 2015 - The twenty-fifth edition of the Transport Market Monitor (TMM) by Transporeon and Capgemini Consulting reveals that transport prices decreased by 4.1% in Q3 2015 compared to Q2 2015.
Main highlights of the report
- The price index decreased by 4.1% in Q3 2015, leading to an index of 100.6.
- In Q3 2015, the diesel index decreased by 5.4% to an index of 85.8. This is the lowest index value in six years.
- Despite the low diesel index, the price index remains on a high level. This is due to the low capacity index.
- The capacity index increased to 77.5 (14.4%). However, the capacity index in Q3 2015 was 10.5% lower than in Q3 2014 (index 86.6).
- When comparing to the index level of the previous year (index 99.4), Q3 2014, the price index is 1.2% higher.
Erik van Dort, supply chain director at Capgemini notes: "In this quarter we see the usual increase in capacity for a Q3. However the price decline from Q2 to Q3 of 4.1% is larger than observed in previous years. This probably is due to the fact that the diesel price index has reached a record 6 year low".
Peter Förster, Managing Director of Transporeon, added: "The traditionally weaker holiday months July and August apparently have an impact on both transport prices and transport capacity, causing transport prices to drop and transport capacity to rise. However, we have been observing an increase related to the daily business as well as to transport prices since September. This development will certainly continue with the beginning of the Christmas business in the last quarter of 2015."
More details can be found in the Transport Market Monitor on http://www.transportmarketmonitor.com.
The Transport Market Monitor by Transporeon and Capgemini Consulting is a quarterly publication that aims to track transport market dynamics.
The aim of the Transport Market Monitor is to provide insights in the development of transport prices, and other transport market dynamics to logistics executives and other interest groups. It is a joint initiative from TRANSPOREON and Capgemini Consulting. The Index is based on the logistics platform TRANSPOREON on which shippers tender and process their transport needs to their preferred transport partners on a daily basis. Anonymously, information is unlocked from the platform and analysed by Capgemini Consulting. This results in monthly Indices which are published on a quarterly basis.
- ENDS -