Utrecht - The eighteenth edition of the Transport Market Monitor (TMM) by Transporeon and Capgemini Consulting reveals that transport prices increased by 1.2% in Q4 2013 compared to Q3.
Recovery in transport prices continues. The eighteenth edition of the Transport Market Monitor by Capgemini Consulting and Transporeon assesses European transport and haulage dynamics
Main highlights of the report
• The price index increased by 1.2% in Q4 2013 (index 101.2), compared to the price index in Q3 (index 100.0).
• When comparing to the index level of the previous year, Q4 2012 (index 98.2), the price index is 3.1% higher.
• In Q4 2013 the diesel index decreased to an index of 103.5 (-2.3% compared to Q3).
• Another factor with a high impact on transport prices is the capacity index, which decreased by 3.1% in Q4 2013 (index 83.6), compared to Q3 (index 86.2).
• The slightly increasing trend in the price index is a sign of slight recovery of transport prices.
Capgemini Consulting’s Erik van Dort qualifies the figures as good news for the transport sector. “Transport prices were stable while diesel prices in 2013 were down more than 4% compared to 2012. This gives some margin relief to a struggling transport sector.”
Peter Förster, Managing Director of Transporeon, added:
“Prices over the last 4 years have been on quite a stable level in Q2 to Q4. Only in Q1, there has been always a strong decrease in prices. Looking at transport prices in the timber industry in January 2014, we can say that due to the warm winter season, capacity only increased slightly. To our surprise, prices also went up significantly. We expect that this will have influence on the price index of Q1 2014. It remains exciting, what the rest of this winter will bring.”
More details can be found in the Transport Market Monitor on http://www.transportmarketmonitor.com
The Transport Market Monitor by Transporeon and Capgemini Consulting is a quarterly publication that aims to track transport market dynamics.
The aim of the Transport Market Monitor is to provide insights in the development of transport prices, and other transport market dynamics to logistics executives and other interest groups. It is a joint initiative from TRANSPOREON and Capgemini Consulting. The Index is based on the logistics platform TRANSPOREON on which shippers tender and process their transport needs to their preferred transport partners on a daily basis. Anonymously, information is unlocked from the platform and analysed by Capgemini Consulting. This results in monthly Indices which are published on a quarterly basis.
- ENDS -