Scala / Java Software Developer
Who you'll be working with
As a Scala/Java Developer for one of Capgemini’s major accounts, you will join a creative and diverse team at the rapidly growing Digital Delivery Centre in Worthing. The team culture is supportive and open – we work in an agile fashion to collaborate effectively and work as efficiently as possible. This means flexibility is key; being adaptable and open, and seeing the success of the team as more important than individual pursuits. The work is varied and there is plenty of it!
The focus of your role
Software Developers work collaboratively in multi-disciplinary agile scrum teams to develop outstanding software that exceeds customer expectations. As a Software Developer at HMRC, you will sit at the heart of the transformation of our services and will ensure that HMRC can become a ‘Digital by Default’ organisation. Using agile methods, you will be involved in all elements of development, with a relentless focus on how the service will be used. You will be involved in service design, code build, test, maintenance and support. We need a team of flexible, skilled developers with a love of web technology to realise our digital objectives.
What you'll do
• Build, deploy and operate outstanding digital services within an agile environment that meet well-defined user needs. Participate in the rapid development of user-driven Digital prototypes;
• Building prototypes, writing tests, codes and documentations, implementing RESTful APIs, JSON ensuring continuous integration,
• Work in cross-functional teams to write and test production quality, sustainable code for world-class new and existing systems;
• Implement RESTful APIs for integration with internal and external systems;
• Ensure that new and updated digital services are thoroughly tested for performance and are able to handle specified load;
• Collaborate with all Scrum Team and Delivery Centre colleagues, providing feedback on more junior/apprenticeship developers where necessary;
• Contribute to a culture of continuous service improvement in which key systems “owned” by your digital service team are regularly analysed, maintained and improved;
• Contribute to a robust automated test suite to work in a continuous integration environment;
• Become involved in the wider web development community (outside of HMRC and the government), building relationships with other developers and identifying best practices we can adopt;
• Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with technical and non-technical team members in the wider HMRC digital team and across government;
• Providing ‘second-line’ support and occasional ‘on-call’ support.
What you'll bring
• Excellent demonstrable commercial experience in programming and back-end software development with either Scala or Java
• Use and implementation of modern front-end web technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, AJAX, REST, JSON;
• Good understanding of web/agile technologies & protocols;
• Demonstrable experience in automated testing solutions;
• Proven problem solving skills: able to logically break down a problem into smaller manageable parts to solve;
• Proven ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience;
• Proven ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques;
• Demonstrable knowledge of relational and non-relational database systems.
• Experience developing and using web-based APIs (especially HTTP REST-based APIs);
• Experience with web frameworks such as Django, Ruby on Rails, Play Framework, Google Guice, Spring, MVC;
• Experience with open source solutions and community, including Linux system administration and configuration management skills;
• including Linux experience;
• Experience with automated testing and continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, junit;
• Experience using and deploying on cloud based platforms;
• Experience working on technical projects within an agile team;
• Configuration management skills;
• Confluence and JIRA;
• Experience presenting work at user groups and conferences;
• Experience of building and scaling high-traffic websites;
• Understanding of the use of responsive web design;
• Experience of handling large data sets and scaling their handling and storage;
• Understanding of web security best practices and security application design, such as OWASP top 10;
• Knowledge of the use of version control systems such as git or subversion.
• Collaborating and Partnering
• Making Effective Decisions
• Delivering at Pace
What we'll offer you
Professional development. Accelerated career progression. An environment that encourages entrepreneurial spirit. It’s all on offer at Capgemini. And although collaboration is at the core of the way we work, we also recognise individual needs with a flexible benefits package you can tailor to suit you.
Why we're different
At Capgemini, we help organisations across the world become more agile, more competitive and more successful. Smart, tailored, often-groundbreaking technical solutions to complex problems are the norm. But so, too, is a culture that’s as collaborative as it is forward thinking. Working closely with each other, and with our clients, we get under the skin of businesses and to the heart of their goals. You will too.
Capgemini is proud to represent nearly 130 nationalities and its cultural diversity. Our holistic definition of diversity extends beyond gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, race, age and religion. Capgemini views diversity as everything that makes us who we are as an organization, including our social background, our experiences in life and work, our communication styles and even our personality. These dimensions contribute to the type of diversity we value the most: diversity of thought.
We want to make sure that we find the right people to work in our teams, and we know that working full-time isn’t necessarily right for everyone. So we’d love to hear from you if you feel you’re a great fit for this role, and would like to work flexibly. As an example, some of our team members work four days a week, but travel across the UK during their working days. Or you might prefer to work three days a week (in a job share scenario) with travel limited to Greater London. If you are the right person for this role, we’ll find the right working approach for you.