Digital Lead Developer
Who you’ll be working with
The Digital Delivery Centre was set up in 2015 to support HMRC’s Digital by Default ambitions. Following the Agile methodology, the services that we deliver have the user’s needs at the forefront.
We have grown our capacity in the centre by almost 85% in 18 months, and we are now looking for the right candidates to support our future expansion plans.
The focus of your role
You will be responsible for providing hands-on technical expertise within our Agile Scrum teams, taking responsibility for code-quality, leadership and direction for software development activities, delivered with sufficient quality to underpin outstanding digital services for millions of users. You will be responsible for both technical and team approaches to ensure solutions are delivered on time and in line with expectations.
What you’ll do
• Work with the Digital Service Manager and Product Manager, Technical and Solution Architects to build and run outstanding digital services that meet well-defined user needs that integrate with internal and external systems
• Lead the rapid development of user-driven digital prototypes to identify technical options and inform architectural approaches, collaborating with other team members to write tests, code and documentation for new and existing systems.
• Ensure new and updated digital services are thoroughly tested for performance and are able to handle specified load.
• Ensure systems are robust, scalable, open and secure, with appropriate overall system design and integration points/APIs in order to deliver a high quality digital user experience.
• Provide mentorship for members of the development team (software developers, Agile Test Engineers) and feedback on staff performance.
• Build a culture of continuous service improvement, ensuring that key systems “owned” by your digital service team are regularly analysed, maintained and improved.
• Be involved in the wider web development community (outside of HMRC and the government) identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences.
• Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with technical and non-technical team members in the wider HMRC digital team and across government.
What you’ll bring
• Experience leading a team of developers, providing overall guidance and setting overall development direction;
• Demonstrable experience in software development in Scala and either Java, C#, Python or Ruby;
• Excellent commercial experience in programming and back-end software development in Scala / Java
• Good understanding of web technologies & protocols;
• Experience developing and using web-based APIs (especially HTTP REST-based APIs);
• Demonstrable experience of automated testing solutions;
• Experience with open source solutions and community;
• Experience working on technical projects within an agile scrum team;
• Excellent demonstrable knowledge of relational and non-relational database systems;
• Experience of building and scaling high-traffic websites;
• Knowledge of the use of version control systems such as git or subversion.
What we’ll offer you
Professional development. Accelerated career progression. An environment that encourages entrepreneurial spirit. It’s all on offer at Capgemini. And although collaboration is at the core of the way we work, we also recognise individual needs with a flexible benefits package you can tailor to suit you.
Why we’re different
At Capgemini, we help organisations across the world become more agile, more competitive and more successful. Smart, tailored, often-groundbreaking technical solutions to complex problems are the norm. But so, too, is a culture that’s as collaborative as it is forward thinking. Working closely with each other, and with our clients, we get under the skin of businesses and to the heart of their goals. You will too.
Capgemini is proud to represent nearly 130 nationalities and its cultural diversity. Our holistic definition of diversity extends beyond gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, race, age and religion. Capgemini views diversity as everything that makes us who we are as an organization, including our social background, our experiences in life and work, our communication styles and even our personality. These dimensions contribute to the type of diversity we value the most: diversity of thought.