HMRC Information for Small & Medium Enterprises

Over the last few years, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has been working to understand the needs of its Small & Medium Enterprise (SME) customers. The links below will help you understand your obligations and the right thing to do in such circumstances as starting in business, taking on an employee, registering for VAT, importing/exporting and incorporation.

Starting your own business This e-learning package covers all aspects of starting and growing a business.
Webinars Online seminars for businesses and the self-employed. The topics covered include the Construction Industry Scheme, International Trade, Employers, Company Directors, Being Self-Employed and VAT.
YouTube and HMRC HMRC Guides for Customers. Videos covering such topics as Registering as Self-Employed, PAYE, Record Keeping and Construction Industry.
Emails Business help and education emails is a free service to provide you and your business with email answers from HMRC that are tailored to your needs.
Apps Simple record-keeping applications for mobile devices, from Forbes Receipt-Keeper to MyBizTracker
Self-employed tax bill ready reckoner The ready reckoner tool is for self-employed people who have no other taxable income and are entitled to a basic Personal Allowance. You fill in your estimated weekly or monthly profit and it shows you roughly how much money you might need to meet your Income Tax and Class 4 National Insurance bill.
Tax help factsheets A wide range of downloadable factsheets.
Simpler Income Tax: Cash Basis Since April 2013, small, unincorporated businesses with income that does not exceed the VAT registration threshold (currently £79,000 per annum) can choose to be taxed on the money that actually flows into and out of their business (the Cash Basis).
Simpler Income Tax: Simplified Expenses Since April 2013, all unincorporated businesses can choose to use fixed rates (Simplified Expenses) to work out what they can claim for some common types of business expenses where there is a mix of business and private use, eg motoring expenses, business use of home and private use of business premises.
Business records: self-employed The records you must keep of your business income and outgoings for your Self Assessment return if you’re self-employed.


Further information